Paleo mini quiches


I'm sorry for the lateness of this post. I took some lovely pictures of this recipe, which I have been looking for since last week. I've now conceded that I must have deleted them accidentally, without having saved them onto my computer first... silly me!

I made this recipe because, since turning paleo (I still eat dairy though), breakfast has been a bit difficult. It's surprising how the morning rush tempts you to eat a quick bowl of cereal and get on your way. But cereals are full of two things which I am trying not to eat: grains and refined sugar. Have you ever checked the labels on cereals? They're all full of sugar - yep, even those supposedly healthy bran cereals that taste like cardboard! Somehow, my resolution to get up 10 minutes earlier each day to prepare a healthy breakfast doesn't always work, and yoghurt with seeds and fruit gets boring after a while. So I started making these mini-quiches on Sunday evenings so that my breakfast is ready for the next couple of days. They contain dairy in the form of Parmesan cheese, but if you don't eat dairy, feel free to eliminate it.


5 eggs
6-8 slices Parma ham
2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup cooked kale, chopped into small bits (I used a mezzaluna to do this, but a knife will do)
pepper, to season (I don't add salt as the ham and cheese provide enough saltiness)
a little coconut oil, for greasing the tin
12-hole mince pie tin

Grease the tin with a little bit of coconut oil. Line each hole with half a slice of ham. Sometimes you may need a bit more than half a slice, thus the 6-8 slices stipulated in the ingredient list.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the cheese and a bit of freshly ground pepper. Then add the kale and mix well. Distribute this mixture evenly into each hole in the tin - I used a jug and just poured it straight in! Then bake in a pre-heated 190C oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the top of the quiches are golden. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, before turning out. You can either serve them at this point, whilst they are still warm from the oven, or you can let them cool, refrigerate them and have them for breakfast over the next couple of days.

I will try and make some more soon and post a picture.

Bon Appétit!

Comments

Popular Posts