Paleo-ish Mulled Wine



Christmas is here! As far as I'm concerned, from the 1st of December I can definitely start cooking all things Christmassy. I also become obsessed with Christmas crafts - do you like the snowman bauble I made for my friends? I gave them one each as a little Yuletide gift, and they really liked it. Although what they probably enjoyed more is the fact that I made mulled wine for them! Here's my recipe for it (perfected over the years!).


400ml Earl Grey tea
125g coconut palm sugar
2 organic oranges
1 unwaxed/organic lemon
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 tsp allspice berries, slightly crushed
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
750ml bottle full-bodied red wine
60ml brandy
16 cloves

First you need to make the syrup. Place the zest and juice of one orange, and the lemon in a large saucepan. Add the tea, sugar, cinnamon stick, star anise, allspice, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Bring to the boil and let simmer for a minute. Take off the heat, cover and allow to infuse for at least 10 minutes. I like to leave it overnight, if possible.

Strain the liquid through a fine sieve or cheesecloth. Discard the spices and citrus peel. Add the syrup to the wine and brandy in a large saucepan. Cut the remaining orange in half and stud it with cloves (see picture). Place that in the saucepan too. Heat gently, but do not allow to come to the boil as otherwise the alcohol will evaporate... and we don't want that, do we?!

Then serve it and enjoy the festive warmth it brings to your heart :)

Comments

Popular Posts